Saturday, November 19, 2005

Ugh.

This really, really, REALLY bothers me.

My husband argues that it's the same as McDonald's being able to refuse to sell you a hamburger if you don't have your shoes on. I completely disagree- the ability to be a slob in public isn't necessarily considered a civil right, while the wherewithal to fill your prescriptions most definitely is.

Target pharmacist: "Oh- you were raped last night? And you had to go to the doctor and submit to the indignity of getting screened for chlamydia and all the other biggies- although you'll have to wait a few weeks for the AIDS test. You got this prescription for plan B? Well, that sucks. Are you sure you didn't deserve it? Because I am afraid that my special relationship with the Lord entitles me to decide whether or not you can take the pill which prevents you from ovulating and therefore potentially getting stuck with a child that you didn't want to have."

16 year old: "I can't have a kid. I was just excited that I went out with the captain of the football team. He seemed so nice, until he slipped a roofie in my drink. I can't even remember what happened! I was going to college! This isn't supposed to happen!"

Target pharmacist: "Did I mention that Jesus loves you? I hope that makes it better- remember that when the kid wakes you up at 2 in the morning when you are working double-shifts at McDonald's and have a final exam the next day."

This is standard practice now at Target, WalMart, Walgreens, and RiteAid. For something that is available OVER the COUNTER in Canada. I feel sick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really makes me want to cry... because I know shopping at Target will never be the same again.

The way I see it is, if abortions go against your religious morals, don't work at an abortion clinic.

If handing out Plan B goes against your religious morals, don't work at a pharmacy.

It really disgusts me that Target is allowing this to happen... but they donated a shit load of money to the GOP so I guess it was expected. :(

Anonymous said...

That is absurd! I am very much against abortion, but the whole point of the morning after pill is that is prevents a life from starting. That is not abortion or killing a life. Who did that person think they were putting that poor girl through that after what she already went thru. Shame on them and their holier than thou attitude. Did you say anything to her?

Akasha

jenna sais quoi said...

Fortunately- this convo. exists only in my imagination- I used it to illustrate what is happening in the article I linked to.

But yeah, I agree with the analysis of both of you. And if you're a pharmacist, you know exactly what the medication does.

You also know that the woman in question has less than 24 hours to get this prescription filled and to take it in order for it to work.

I have heard of pharmacists even more extreme, those that refuse to even fill prescriptions for birth control pills for the same reason.

It's scary.