Saturday, April 21, 2007

Yeah, I'm still here

The Man came home from SF, and uttered those words that make my blood run cold.

"Sweetie, I don't feel good."

Uh Oh.

"What's wrong?"

"I feel like I'm going to throw up."

I went to work for an hour, came home. Let the Olympic-scale vomiting begin!

Since he is usually like the boy who cried wolf with any kind of illness, it took me until he was almost collapsing in the kitchen to realize that this was serious business. Plus I could hear him all the way in the back of the house. Florence Nightengale (and guilt) finally kicked in. I offered him water, and a popsicle. They stayed down for approximately two seconds. And when they came up, there was blood involved.

I grabbed my knitting, a book, an industrial stength garbage bag, and some moist towelettes, loaded The Man into his truck, and headed for the Urgent Care.

The military gives them all flu shots, so we knew it wasn't that. Evidently, the issue was viral gastroenteritis. Which is horrible, and looks just like the stomach flu.

We went home with our sheets for the BRAT diet, and I went out again to grab prescriptions, Pepto Bismol, Immodium, Lysol, popsicles, and a cute headband that was on sale at Walgreens.
The Man had 6 days off of work, and I knew he felt like ass, because he didn't even glance in the direction of the computer.

At one point, he said weakly, "Did the nurses tell you how contagious this is? We're supposed to sleep seperately, and use different bathrooms."

Uh huh. No, the nurses didn't say anything to me, mainly because...well, why bother? They knew I was already a goner.

Thursday night, I couldn't get warm. Nothing sounded appetizing. All I wanted to do was sleep.

I forced myself to eat some noodle soup, which was a mistake. I ended up just making it to the kitchen sink, and had the presence of mind to aim for the side with the garbage disposal.

On the up side, (yes, with me, there is always an upside) I am getting things done around the house, I feel great between bouts of whatever this is, and I have lost about 5 pounds.

It may be because of the barfing, or it could also be because my period, which was two and a half weeks late, finally decided to show up.

Yeah. Once again, it's been a week. But there is some good stuff to report tomorrow!

No comments: