Thursday, April 26, 2007

In Recovery

Yes, we are all better now. Thank heaven!

I suppose I should report the good news- I got a raise at work. And The Man has passed the AFOQT (I think that's it) so he is now qualified to apply for officer's positions. I am really really really proud of him.

Wooohooo!

This has been a random week, work-wise. Specifically, there have been Weird Moments With Men.

On Tuesday, I went out to a relatively new school. I was in a classroom with the teacher (whose room it was), and I somehow managed to accidentally set off the fire alarm with either my fog machine or my laser pointer.

I was incredibly freaked out and embarrassed, and somehow the nice (male, my age) teacher and I ended up talking after the fire drill, while I was cleaning up. It started out with him trying to make me feel better, and ended up branching out into music, the computer age, growing up in Fresno, my intentions to become a teacher. Until I looked at the clock, and realized that 45 minutes had evaporated.

I packed up my stuff, and he locked up and we walked out to the parking lot together.

"Nice talking to you! See you on Friday!"

I climbed into the car and waved as I pulled out of the parking lot. I was so pleasantly surprised! Usually, men are a little reticient with me, and I am pretty shy, so I was proud of myself for making conversation and feeling so comfortable about it.

I was still smiling about it in the car, until I looked down and realized that I had taken off my wedding ring while gardening earlier, and I had forgotten to put it back on. And of course, I am so oblivious, I never noticed or asked if he was married or not.

I feel like a total idiot for even going there in my head.

I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow! (For the record, all jewelry will be present and accounted for.)
_________

The other weirdness just happened today. Another male teacher, another school. We've had a few nice conversations, but nothing in-depth.

Teacher: I never asked- I can see you're married, but do you have kids?

Me: No, no kids yet.

Teacher: You seem like you'd be a great mom. Are you planning on starting a family?

Me: When the time is right, yes.

Teacher: Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

Me: I'm thirty-two.

Teacher: My wife was around that age when we started our family. It's good to wait and make sure you're ready- kids change everything, you know!

I really don't know what to say. There are enough people in the world who struggle with infertility that I (fortunately)don't get this as much as I used to.

Logically, I know that people who do ths aren't "out to get me." Of course I do! But I am woried that someone is going to catch me on a bad day at some point, and I am going to smite them with the truth.

I don't, because I don't want them to be embarrassed, or to feel bad.

I'm the one who feels bad instead.

No comments: