Wednesday, April 11, 2007

If Wild Kingdom had a cage match

I taight my first class all on my own today (my own materials, my own ideas, and my own wits.)

I was trying to explain the difference between venomous and poisonous to the kids.
(For the record, if it bites YOU and you get sick, it's venemous. If you bite IT and you get sick, it's poisonous. I also tell them that you can eat rattlesnakes- therefore they are venemous, but not poisonous. Predictably, they all freak out, which is always entertaining.

Then they start asking questions about the most poisonous snakes, and where they live. I explain that most poisonous snakes live in Australia, but one of the most deadly animals is the Black Mamba. That's when things began to get dangerously theoretical.

"Like, if you put a Black Mamba in a box with a Black Widow Spider, and they had a fight, which one would win?"

While I am trying to come up with an answer to this one, taking into account relative sizes and the likelihood of this happening, the kid's neighbor goes,
"What if you put in a brown recluse AND a black widow? Would they join forces against the Black Mamba? What about a rattlesnake?"

I swear to God, this is going to keep me awake at night.

No comments: