Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hope is the thing with feathers...and claws.

I am out of bed and I have my crosstrainers on.

Trust me when I say that I cannot believe the effort it took to accomplish that. I am not in the best place in the world, but not the worst place either, and I guess I can live with that.
___________________

I taught kids about polymers yesterday, and they got a list of things around the house that are all polymers. There are some weird things on the list (caulking, insulation, and flash cubes. Flash Cubes! Let's party like it's 1979!) so I tell the kids to circle the ones they use and to raise their hands if they have a question about what something is.

One little girl raised her hand and I came over.

"What is it sweetie?"

She pointed to one of the words on the list, which just happened to be pantyhose, and looked up at me with wide eyes.

"Is this...is this a HOSE that you use to wash your PANTIES?!!!"

I could tell she wanted to die of mortification. I am not sure if she thought she was not practicing proper panty maintenance, or that she was horrified that such a thing could exist. Why would you need to hose out your panties? OMG! Grown-ups are INSANE!

I did my level best not to laugh, and gently explained that they were tights or nylons, and yes, those were a polymer, and she seemed vastly reassurred.

Hee! Pantyhose!
_______________

Yesterday's fortune cookie: You never hesitate to tackle the most difficult problems.

My dining partner's fortune cookie: You will always be in good health.

Since I spent yesterday wallowing in chocolate and my lunch buddy is currently in the middle of radiation therapy, the irony was lost on neither of us.

No comments: